Monday, September 7, 2009

The Windigo

Experience two:

On an island in the middle of no where lived a wild band of unicorns called Windigo. It was said that the Windigo had a magnificent leader with a firey mane and tail that glowed in the evening light like burning embers, and his coat was said to be as dark as a moonless night. He went by the name of Fire-tongue. Some of the younger unicorns claimed he could breathe fire like the mighty dragon on Mount Rafozo, others claimed he was the son of the dragon himself. No one knew if these tales were true, but the young unicorn Silver-moon was about to find out!

"Silver-moon!" a shrill neigh called into the night. "Silver-moon, wake up please," now whoever it was calling for me was now nudging my side with a cloven hoof. Groaning I wearily got to my feet. "Silver-"
"I'm awake! Why are you waking me up the moon hasn't even disappeared over the horizon."
"I'm sorry Silver-moon, but I just had to tell you," Silver-moon now realized it was his best friend Rainbow, "I saw something up in the mountain! It was awful-"
"Wait. You saw something?"
"Yes," she said breathlessly, "I did."
"Well?"
She took a deep breath and began her tale, "So I was at the base of Mount Rafozo. You know Silver-moon that's where the best coconuts are to be found-"
"Yes. Yes I know carry on," he said impatiently Rainbow always had to explain things in a long winded fashion.
"While I was looking for some coconuts I heard a mighty roar erupt from Mount Rafozo! And when I looked up to see what had caused the roar I saw a giant pair of wings! A fierce pair of red eyes! And talons the size of my head! It was as big as the mountain itself."
"You couldn't have seen anything like that Rainbow. Dragon's aren't real."
"If unicorns aren't real either then what are we?" She snorted rather haughtily.
"Don't be ridiculous of course unicorns are real. We are unicorns for goodness sake!"
"Then why can't dragons be real if unicorns are?"
"Oh alright, I see your point. But don't ever suggest we're related to those good for nothing non-horns they're dumber than a box of rocks. (A unicorns greatest shame is to loose its horn and become a non-horn aka horse)
"I know. I know," Rainbow sighed quietly. Rainbow only knew too well about the non-horns her father had been in a horrible accident with a coconut tree which ended with his horn embedded in the bark and it inevitably had to be removed.
"Are you ready?" I neighed softly.
"Yeah I'll show you the way."

Rainbow led me through the Windigo camp once we were clear she began to trot down the trail.
"It's not very far from here," she said over her shoulder.
We trotted for quite some time in the dark with the moon shining brightly above us. Until we reached the mountain side where Rainbow claimed to have seen the dragon. There was no sight of the dragon, however, we did find something else. We found Fire-tongue climbing the mountain side!
"Do you see that!" Rainbow snorted urgently, "It's Fire-tongue!"
"I know Rainbow I can see him," then I began to stalk after Fire-tongue in a semi-quiet manner.
"Wait for me," Rainbow neighed softly.
We climbed and climbed and climbed for what seemed like forever I thought we might actually climb till the top of the mountain, but then Fire-tongue disappeared into the mountain side! I could just barely make him out as he disappeared into what seemed like a cave. Rainbow and I followed him and just like that there was a faint glow of light coming from around the corner in the cave. Upon rounding the corner the first thing I could make out was the light glimmering off the shiny black scales of the mighty dragon. It's mighty tail draped all around the cave, and in the center of the cave lay its menacing head with Fire-tongue standing right in front of it.
"Don't eat Fire-tongue!!" whinied Rainbow which completely blew our cover.
The dragon and Fire-tongue immediately spun their heads to the cave opening in which we stood.
I really thought we were in for it then.
"Silver-moon. Rainbow. Come here please," Fire-tongue said with a powerful neigh.
Keeping my head down I trotted over to Fire-tongue as did Rainbow.
"I never thought any of you younglings would have the courage to follow me up Mount Rafozo. I have to give you two credit that is very brave of you, but also very dangerous," Fire-tongue looked up at his scaly friend. "Well now that you all are here it's my pleasure to introduce you to my mother Zenada Shinyscales."
Rainbow and I exchanged wide eyed glances. So the tales were all true, but one thing was for certain Fire-tongue is indeed half dragon.
"Nice to meet you Zenada Shinyscales," I nickered bowing my head.
"Nice to meet you too Silver-moon I've heard much about you," Zenada said with glittery eyes. I looked over at Fire-tongue, "Fire-tongue who else knows about your mother?"
Fire-tongue gave me a solemn look, "Everyone does Silver-moon you just have to believe."
Now everything made perfect sense. Since all of the Windigo unicorns were afraid of Mount Rafozo no one knew the truth, but people must have seen Zenada on the mountain just like Rainbow did, and so the stories began.
Rainbow and Silver-moon were not eaten that night, but they did find out all the stories were true, and they went to visit Zenada Shinyscales with Fire-tongue on occassion after their first encounter. Of course, no one believed them that they had actually met the dragon, but they didn't let that bother them instead they let their belief in Zenada be enough for them.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment